Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Good Question:

Courtesy of Jeff, via Facebook,

“If a friend said to you: ‘...why don't you wake up at 6 AM, go running or go to the gym like a normal person to stay in shape INSTEAD of Jiu-Jitsu, which seems to take up a lot of time...’ what would your response be???”

A couple of weeks ago, ECU Purple Belt Jeff Schneider asked this very question on Facebook. Of course, my flippant reply was, “Anaconda Choke!”

Several of my ECU brothers and sisters made similar replies, leading Jeff to complain, “Lol. Legit discussion, good debate and all my ECU brothers can come up with is an unsupervised BJJ clinic.”

I thought about it for a while, and came up with my own answers, but ECU Brother/Wanderlei Silva Fight Team member Peter Simone (Undefeated Professional MMA Fighter) posted a great response, and since I can’t do better, I’ll just quote it now and suggest that we focus on the last sentence:

“I'd say, ‘Lets wake up at 6am go running then go to the gym then go train BJJ at 12pm and then train again at 6pm. Who wants to be normal when you can be special?’ "

While most of us can’t train three times a day like Peter does, those hours that we can find are indeed special. We train in an art that challenges us both mentally and physically, and, in a great environment like ECU, find a second family.

Can you do that on a treadmill?

No comments:

Post a Comment