Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Open Up Your Game and Have Fun!”

I’ve been nursing a torn hamstring for the past couple of weeks. Thanks to the great Alex Lileika of New Rochelle Physical Therapy, I’ve been able to keep training, but I’m still not 80%.

Thanks to Alex’ help, I was still able to attend an outstanding seminar with “Rob G.” last Friday. Rob showed us an AWESOME series that I think will take everyone who attended the seminar to the next level.

Due to my hamstring injury, I avoided sparring most of the night. Late in the night, Rob asked if I wanted to train. Since I’ll NEVER turn down the opportunity to roll with a Black Belt, I immediately said, “Absolutely!”

Rob and I rolled for a while, I tried Spider, and De-La-Riva guards, but Rob quickly defeated them. Inevitably, I ended up in a bad position. I went into my defensive “shell”, and just tried to survive. Of course, Rob submitted me in the end.

Later, Rob took the time to talk to me about how I can improve my Jiu-Jitsu. While he had several excellent suggestions, the one that I think will be the cornerstone of my next steps in the game is the title of this article.

3 comments: