Thursday, December 16, 2010

Just Keep Showing Up!


In my nearly five years of training BJJ, I’ve learned that consistency is one of the most important attributes a student can have. Consistency is not always easy, but if you can find a way to keep a regular schedule, you’ll greatly improve your chances for advancement.

I figure a few good case-studies will illustrate my idea.

Since August of 2006, I’ve tried my best to train every single day there’s a class available. I’ve probably failed twenty-five times to make a class – and half of those involved me training at other schools. I’d like to think that my dedication earned me my Purple belt.

Now, we’ll take a look at two of the other higher belts in the ECU family…

Tim Orwin has a huge talent for BJJ. As a graduate of SUNY Maritime, Tim has had to spend time at sea. The fact that he and I received our Blue belts on the same night embarrassed me. Tim was far superior. Naturally, he earned his well-deserved Purple Belt first. Now that Tim is working a land job, he’s re-dedicated himself to BJJ and reminds 99% of us just how scary it is when a 6’3” 200+ pound guy is actually good at Jiu-Jitsu. Any time Tim shows up, everyone but Jo-Jo is worried.

Alex Lileika M.P.T. trains twice a week. Between owning his own business and having a lovely family, Alex has a lot of people pulling him in different directions. However, Alex makes sure that he gets in at least two training sessions per week. While some of us train more often, none of us are more committed to making sure we get our sessions each week.

Alex reached the rank of Purple belt early in 2010.

This particular post was a direct response to some of the White belts asking me what it takes to progress. My response was, “Keep showing up!”

Another time, I asked Jo-Jo his opinion. He thought about it for a second, and then said:

“Keep training! Every time you come here you get better."

This is #19 does anyone have any suggestions for #20 or #25?

Thanks again to everyone who reads this.

PS, I already have #20 in the wings so think of ideas for #25.

No comments:

Post a Comment